Thursday 30 September 2010

First Blood!

Its taken 10 days to do myself an injury, which i think is rather good considering the amount of danger that lurks in the kitchens in Ballymaloe. What should you do if you drop an extremely sharp knife? The answer is definitely not to try and catch it, this became apparent as the razor sharp edge got stuck in my finger! However panic not, it is only a small cut that required a plaster and a casual "get on with it" from my teacher!
The last two days have been really tiring, my 7am walks around the luscious gardens are continuing unabated but there are times when staying in bed seems a better idea, however once you walk around this idyllic place in the mornings before the mayhem begins, you cant think of a better place to be.
Yesterday was a theory day (every Wednesday will be the same) and we learnt a million and one things to do with milk. It started with the still warm milk being put through a separator to extract the cream and then we watched in amazement as butter, paneer (Indian cheese), a hard cheese (ready for eating in 3 months) and ricotta were all made in a short space of time. Then it was time for a well deserved lunch with the usual fine array of delicacies.
The afternoon was spent with Colm McCann, the award winning sommelier from Ballymaloe, where my limited knowledge of wine received a welcome boost, we focused on Riesling and Chardonnay with a particular focus on Chablis, we then tasted 6 different wines and learnt how to do it properly. To be fair there was a certain amount of deja vu for me as I have completed a wine course as part of my degree, however I retained virtually nothing so here's hoping that Colm will make the knowledge stick!
Today we were back to the kitchens and creme caramel with caramel sauce and caramel shards, I also cooked a spicy chicken dish. I have attached photos however the creme caramel looked so good I forgot to take pictures until we had tucked into it after "presenting" it to the teacher.
This afternoon we learnt how to fillet a round fish and tomorrow I will be filleting a cod then cooking it with creamy sauce!
Other than that, man flu seems to be abating and I hope to be in fine form to try and catch some of the Ryder Cup this weekend!
Speak Soon
T

No comments:

Post a Comment