Sunday 14 November 2010

4 weeks to go!!

Can it only be 4 weeks to go? Seems crazy that the adventure in Ballymaloe is nearing its conclusion, whats even more crazy is the fact that I should really be able to cook by now!!
So week 8 is out of the way and we are on the cusp of week 9. Last week seemed to fly by and I am now struggling to remember what I cooked and tasted. Steaks were a highlight, with a delicious Bearnaise sauce and crispy onion rings, we also learnt all about cheese souffles which are actually much easier to do than one would think. I have also been making sour dough bread which takes about 9 days to complete, well worth the effort though, I really like this bread. Once you have made it once, the time taken to make it reduces significantly as you keep back whats called a starter. This will be used as a basis for all my sour dough from now on, the beauty of it is that it will constantly improve and get stronger thus making better bread. I also made praline ice cream which is quite possibly my favourite thing in the world and how simple it is to make, you don't even need an ice cream maker! So in general week 8 was a treat, I was also paired up with my flatmate Charlotte which was great fun, she spends most of her time making sure everyone is alright and she was a pleasure to work with.
I also made a trip up to Ballymaloe to see some of the family, I bumped into Myrtle Allen again and we had a nice chat. I really wish my back was better as I do feel that I am missing out just a little on the opportunity to spend a bit more time up there helping out and working but alas it is not to be, maybe another time after my adventures in China. I think I would really like to spend a bit more time down this way some time in the future, it really is a relaxed pace of life and the people are great, who knows what the future has in store.
On a much more negative note, I have also had to sit through two excruciatingly long weekends watching that excuse for a rugby team get run ragged all over a half empty Lansdowne Rd. What makes it slightly worse was that I had to do this with Steve, a South African supporter who was delighted that his second string team beat us. If what happened last night at Murrayfield (snigger!!) is anything to go by, the weekends will not be improving very soon!
So, things are good, the cooking is getting more technical by the minute, our rugby team is rubbish and I have to come up with my exam menu (3 course meal to be presented to Darina, Rachel and Rory) fairly soon. No bother!!!
Got a bit snap happy on my morning walk, photos below.

morning walk time!

herb garden
gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment