Monday 22 November 2010

The final countdown

Week 10 has commenced and exam fever is starting to hit. Final choices for our menus need to be in on Thursday morning and all the talk is about what everyone is cooking. Keeping it simple and flavourful is the order of the day and I am wavering between a few dishes, I will keep you updated on my choices. The process seems simple enough, 3 hours, 3 courses and a lottery bread which will be chosen for you the day before, however as the day approaches my natural instinct to question everything is kicking in. As well as all that, we have 3 written papers, another herb test and a wine exam to get through.
Only 8 more days of cooking though and that is a bummer, it has been so much fun cooking different things everyday and I have enjoyed that aspect of the course so much. I am in kitchen 3 at the moment and the teachers are great and we are now all trying to cram as much as possible into our days, I am in the kitchen from 8am every morning and my approach at the moment is to try and complete as many dishes as possible that I feel will be relevant in Shanghai. So the next few weeks will be very busy as I try to get as much out of the course as possible.
The last two weeks have been really good, last week I made my first attempt at pasta when I made pumpkin and ricotta ravioli, it actually turned out really well and is something I would love to do more of. I have also made more sour dough bread and tomorrow I will be making ciabatta. Pan fried fish was on the menu last week and I had another go at filleting, it actually went quite well and the haddock actually looked like a fillet of fish when I was finished! Result!
This week looks really busy, Wednesday is canape ans sushi day and Lamb is on the menu on Thursday and Friday.
So, full steam ahead for the next 3 weeks, spot of rugby this weekend and then head down for the following two weeks and perhaps a bit of studying!
I will update you later in the week and let you know the menu!
Peace
T

No comments:

Post a Comment